I have a new friend, it’s bright yellow and makes me happy just looking at it and even more so when I drink it at night. My new friend enhances my defence system against colds, flus and bugs. It helps with inflammation, bones and joints, supports organs of the body and cleanses my system.
My new friend is an ancient root that has been used in Indian and Chinese culture for thousands of years. I’d like to introduce you to TURMERIC! If you have been wondering how to play with turmeric, then here’s a recipe just for you, Golden Milk! Curcumin is the active and magical ingredient in turmeric and this antioxidant has been linked to helping people with cancer, dementia, diabetes and weight loss.
I have spent a lot of time researching turmeric and what is needed to go with it so your body can absorb and utilise it. Turmeric has friends it likes to play with such as healthy saturated fats and black pepper.
The great things about this recipe is you can have fun with the sweetness and spice levels so you can make it to taste. Children and adults both love it. Try to use fresh and organic ingredients as much as you can to get the best from your ‘Golden Milk’. Please enjoy it as much as I do!
Ingredients for 1 Adult:
- 1 cup of almond milk (or your choice of milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of rice malt syrup or honey
- pinch of pepper
- *optional – add clove and/or cardamom to vary the fun and flavour each day
- Place ingredients in a saucepan
- Bring to the boil whilst whisking periodically
- Once boiling, drop down to simmer and whisk every few minutes
- Simmer for 15 minutes (this allows the spices to blend fully)
- Cool slightly and enjoy!
With gratitude – Kate